Re: individual submission Last Call -- default yes/no.

2005-01-10 15:13:01
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 10:15:46 +0100, Eliot Lear wrote:
  You make an assumption here that there is some relationship between the
  usefulness of a standard done from a working group and those individual
  submissions.

Actually, i was not intending to indicate such a relationship, nor do i believe
it exists.  Good and lousy work come from both sources...

I was indicating that the IETF standardization requires indication of community
support.  We take the working group record as strong input to that indication,
but that individual submissions lack any equivalent record.

I am intrigued that IESG leadership apparently feels it acceptable to take the
activity of random mailing lists, that have no IETF process standing and no
IETF oversight, as sufficient indication of community support.  Ultimately,
taking such input as sufficient calls to question the need for ever forming a
working group.

But, then, even for established working groups, we seem to be ready to
standardize things that show active support by literally only a few people.

If there were a recent track record of successful, widespread, large-scale
adoption for IETF standards, then that sort of random, subjective, opaque
assessment process might be acceptable.  Alas, there isn't, so it isn't.