Re: individual submission Last Call -- default yes/no.

2005-01-10 11:19:15
At 9:00 AM -0800 1/10/05, Dave Crocker wrote:

The way to make it obvious that there is serious community support for adopting an individual submission is to require that the support be demonstrated ON THE RECORD.

d/

And the point I'm trying to make is that there are multiple records. When we have
a mailing list like "ietf-types" or "ietf-languages" where there is a long term
community of interest around a specific issue, should a discussion there
be taken into account when assessing an individual submission?  I think
the answer is "it depends" and certainly may be "yes".  It should not over-ride
other discussion or be given extraordinary weight, but I do think that the
evidence there of interest, support, and consideration of issues raised should
be taken into account. That's why I believe saying "default yes" or "default no"
at Last Call is too black and white.

I suggest that we try to include pointers to these discussions in
the Last Call text, so that the community has the transparency it needs
to assess these previous discussions.  That will require a change in
behavior, though, as I've been told by several senior folk that they
don't read the Last Call additional text at all if the draft name alone
convinces them they need to read the document; this was in the context
of the considerable additional explanatory text included with the
langtags "New Last Call".  Other suggestions on how to highlight this
to the community reviewing a document at Last Call are more than
welcome.
                regards,
                        Ted Hardie