Re: individual submission Last Call -- default yes/no.

2005-01-07 10:32:33
Harald,
This does not discuss the language tags comment. This case however provides some experience. The real problem I see is the increased need of Practice Documentation. RFC 3066 is a BCP yet it introduces issues (and the proposed RFC 3066bis does more) which are not established but proposed or even modified practices, without the proper debate with other areas some consider as concerned (IDN, OPES, Web Services, architecture, etc.) what an IAB approved charter would have warranted. In this case there is also the oddity of a private list bearing responsibilities on the IANA.

You say this may happen when the matter has not been considered being worth a WG. I have nothing to object to that. But I can document that in this particular case I sent you a private mail a few months ago asking guidance on the way to organize a WG. You did not signaled me your "ietf" list. I can also only note this is a consistent position with the IAB/IESG, since RFC 3869 does not even allude to the matter. That some's positions are more equal than other is a feature of 1st generation networks, so I will not object. But I suggest this calls for a better WG proposition track. In this case a WG would have saved time and harassment (I am used to be insulted and I have no problem with it, should it help).

IRT the need of PB documentation. This case shows that there would have been no problem and full consensus if the "BEST" as documented in RFC 2026.5.1 could have been replaced by a "DOCUMENTED" or by a "SUGGESTED". This made me a supposed "main" and "odious" and "gerrymandering" etc... "opponent" of the draft. Should the author have been able to present a DCP for what is already in use, and an SCP for what he proposes, we would now considered how to continue further, may be along the working protocol I documented.

I can quote many other areas where such a SCP/DCP use could lead to a progressive practice aggregation or transition and innovation.
Regards.
jfc