Re: draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, sp ecifications, "stability", and extensions

2005-01-06 11:17:36
Dave Crocker wrote:

It occurs to me that a Last Call for an independent submission has an added
requirement to satisfy, namely that the community supports adoption of the
work.  We take a working group as a demonstration of community support.
(However we used to pressure for explicit statements during Last Call.)  My
feeling is that an independent submission MUST show significant support during
Last Call.

In other words, a working group document getting IETF Last Call has something
of a Default Yes. And independent submission needs to be Default No.
Pretty close. Certainly the default can't be "Yes". However the reason why many things come in as individual submissions is that the community doesn't care much. So if the IESG is satisfied enough to put out a last call, and nobody responds -- it doesn't have community support -- the default community position shouldn't be "no" but "no objection". (In this specific case it appears to me, as an outsider, that there has been significant objection, and not all of it dismissable.)

swb