Naming accounts (Re: Last Call Comments on draft-iasa-bcp-04.txt)

2005-01-17 06:52:42

--On 16. januar 2005 19:34 -0500 "Lynn St.Amour"
<st(_dot_)amour(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org> wrote:

The following three terms are used in this document, and it is not
clear if there is intended to be any difference between them:

        - IASA accounts (or IASA budget)

For "IASA accounts" in most instances it would be more helpful to call
them "IASA Cost Centers" (following ISOC's standard terminology), as this
more clearly distinguishes the accounting and reporting aspects (which is
what they are usually referencing) from the money/bank account aspect.

Lynn,

I actually disagree here.

The mind-picture I think we want to establish through using "accounts" is "rows of numbers that can be added up to get totals" - we want to know what it's costing, and where the money goes.

The mind-picture I get from "cost center" is "label applied to some group of activities".

I'd have no problem with ISOC saying to IASA "we propose that we implement the IASA accounts through the mechanism that we have built for cost centers", and I think it's very appropriate that you try to check that the BCP contains nothing that prevents you from doing that.

But I'd prefer for the BCP to continue using the term "accounts".

                   Harald