Re: Firing the IAOC (Re: Consensus search: #725 3.4b Appealing decisions)

2005-01-17 09:20:17

--On Monday, January 17, 2005 2:34 PM +0100 Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> wrote:

The one thing that I agree sticks out is that the language of
3777 talks about firing *one* person - in the case where the
group is dysfunctional, it may be better to take the group
out, as you say.

I think this is the only significant issue. The IAOC is either going to meet the needs of the community _as a group_ or it isn't. And, if it isn't, we should have a procedure for removing the whole crew. Otherwise, we will find ourselves back in the position that the community has, sad to say, sometimes found itself in with the IESG: the disfunction is obvious, but it is extremely difficult to get sufficient information to blame and remove one person as the key to the issues. That becomes even more important when the group --either in the IESG example or IAOC -- starts behaving like a team, i.e., pulling together to hide problems with its members, putting being able to work well with others in the group ahead of particular decisions, and so on.

Basically, I think we have running code that this is an issue, and we need to develop a mechanism --other than recall and non-reappointment of individuals-- for dealing with it should it occur. Indeed, having such a mechanism may be an important tool for preventing it from occurring, which makes the mechanism even more important.

    john