Re: One last word on operational reserves

2005-01-19 10:54:13
At 5:12 PM +0100 1/19/05, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

I *think* this is a "not a problem" thing.... I believe the intent is that IETF can say "we think we need 6 months reserve for our stuff", and ISOC can say "that's no problem - we have general reserves that are larger than your 6 months + the reasonable risk on other stuff".

I agree that however it is ISOC can say "that's not a problem" is sufficient,
whether insurance, operational reserves, etc.  But I believe we need to
be very careful on saying that general reserves are equivalent to the
operational reserve we've requested.  I believe we are asking the ISOC
to ensure that they have this level of protection pretty much no matter
what happens to its other programs, and I believe that we need to be
very frank that this is what we're asking for.  If ISOC says "we can ensure
the following level of reserve, which covers 6 months of IETF activity assuming
all else is at least marginal and 3 months if every other program goes belly up",
then we need to know that's what they're saying.

Again, I don't have any concerns about how these issues are met, but
I want us to be very, very clear on what we are asking for from ISOC.
And if we need to change those requests to be a reasonable partner to ISOC,
okay.  But that clarity could save a lot of pain later on, and I think it is
important.  The smallest amount of hand-waiving here and now can result in
lots of wind later on.
                regards,
                        Ted Hardie