Re: One last word on operational reserves

2005-01-19 12:23:21
At 09:33 AM 01/19/05 -0800, Ted Hardie wrote:
Again, I don't have any concerns about how these issues are met, but I want us to be very, very clear on what we are asking for from ISOC.

I think also that we need to be very sure that we know what the BCP is. What your words above - and other comments you have made in this forum - make it sound like is "the BCP is the IETF's request to ISOC". What I have heard from others is that "the BCP is the IETF's commitment to ISOC". Here I would gently demur, pointing out that there is actually no commitment made by IETF towards ISOC in the BCP; rather, IETF is identifying here what it expects *ISOC* to do for *it* (set up the IASA, hire and pay the IAD, manage budgets, fund-raise, deliver accounting information, and so on). When we hear requests for ISOC to pass a resolution (or something more) "to support the BCP", I understand it to be "the agreement between IETF and ISOC".

Those are very different things.

If the BCP is the IETF's request to ISOC, then the agreement between IETF and ISOC is a different document, and the ISOC Board should pass a resolution supporting *that* document. If the BCP is the agreement between ISOC and IETF, and IETF expects ISOC to pass a resolution supporting it, then what we are discussing here is what ISOC and IETF will actually do, not what one side is requesting of the other.

What ISOC will actually do is ensure that it has the ability to perform all of its functions when the chips are down. One of those functions is the IASA.

How would you like to document that?

By the way, before we are done, I believe that the IETF and ISOC should update our MOU. The current MOU is RFC 2031, and is badly out of date even with respect to current commitments ISOC has made to the IETF. The updated MOU should, I believe, not only describe the expectations that IETF has of ISOC, but the expectations that ISOC has of the IETF, in terms of supporting its educational and public policy activities through counsel, position papers like RFC 1984, and personnel.