Re: Discussion: #822 legal review 3: Legal advice

2005-01-25 03:43:30
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
The discussion of legal advice (Jorge's third point) seems to have revealed that there are two issues here:

- Should legal advice be sought? That's almost too obvious to state, but might be worth stating anyway...... I suggest that we add to paragraph 4 of section 3.1, "IAD responsibilities". This used to be:

  The IAD negotiates service contracts, with input, as appropriate,
  from other bodies, and with review, as appropriate, by the IAOC.  The
  IAOC should establish guidelines for what level of review is expected
  based on contract type, size, cost, or duration.  ISOC executes
  contracts on behalf of the IASA, after whatever review ISOC requires
  to ensure that the contracts meet ISOC's legal and financial
  requirements.

This could be changed to read:

  The IAD negotiates service contracts, with input, as appropriate,
  from other bodies, including legal advice, and with review, as
  appropriate, by the IAOC.  The
  IAOC should establish guidelines for what level of review is expected
  based on contract type, size, cost, or duration.  ISOC executes
  contracts on behalf of the IASA, after whatever review ISOC requires
  to ensure that the contracts meet ISOC's legal and financial
  requirements.

The other point raised is whether the legal advice for IASA needs to be independent from ISOC's legal advice. Consideration so far seems to be that "sometimes this would be good, sometimes this would be indifferent or extra overhead - hard to codify in this BCP".

Should we leave that as "no change proposed"?

Works for me
    Brian