RE: Discussion: #822 legal review 3: Legal advice

2005-01-25 19:12:56
I ahve made the change suggested by Harald.

Bert

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
Harald Tveit Alvestrand
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 10:23
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Discussion: #822 legal review 3: Legal advice

The discussion of legal advice (Jorge's third point) seems to
have revealed
that there are two issues here:

- Should legal advice be sought? That's almost too obvious to
state, but
might be worth stating anyway...... I suggest that we add to
paragraph 4 of
section 3.1, "IAD responsibilities". This used to be:

   The IAD negotiates service contracts, with input, as appropriate,
   from other bodies, and with review, as appropriate, by the
IAOC.  The
   IAOC should establish guidelines for what level of review
is expected
   based on contract type, size, cost, or duration.  ISOC executes
   contracts on behalf of the IASA, after whatever review
ISOC requires
   to ensure that the contracts meet ISOC's legal and financial
   requirements.

This could be changed to read:

   The IAD negotiates service contracts, with input, as appropriate,
   from other bodies, including legal advice, and with review, as
   appropriate, by the IAOC.  The
   IAOC should establish guidelines for what level of review
is expected
   based on contract type, size, cost, or duration.  ISOC executes
   contracts on behalf of the IASA, after whatever review
ISOC requires
   to ensure that the contracts meet ISOC's legal and financial
   requirements.

The other point raised is whether the legal advice for IASA
needs to be
independent from ISOC's legal advice. Consideration so far
seems to be that
"sometimes this would be good, sometimes this would be
indifferent or extra
overhead - hard to codify in this BCP".

Should we leave that as "no change proposed"?

                  Harald