Re: Edits - #819 - Elwyn's editorials

2005-01-25 05:44:15
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

--On 25. januar 2005 11:40 +0100 Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:

Harald, I'm with you except perhaps for the data protection
issue. Elwyn is right that laws in this area vary widely
and if, for example, a subcontractor is located in the EU
they will be much more constrained about use of personal
data than in the US.

I suggest adding something to the IAD's responsibilities,
rather than to the principles. Somewhere in section 3.1:

The IAD shall ensure that personal data collected for
legitimate purposes of the IASA are protected according
to relevant legislation.

That makes sense to me too. I think the IASA should take care for personal data protection because it is right too, so I'd make it stronger:

 The IAD shall ensure that personal data collected for
 legitimate purposes of the IASA are protected appropriately,
 and at least satisfactorily according to relevant legislation.

Place it just after paragraph 5 of section 3.1, the one that starts out talking about contracts giving the IETF rights in data - it seems appropriate.

OK?

OK 4 me

   Brian