Re: ietf-broadcast: Multicast / DVMRP not used anymore?

2005-02-07 11:31:25
On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:43:57 -0800 (PST)
 Joel Jaeggli <joelja(_at_)darkwing(_dot_)uoregon(_dot_)edu> wrote:
On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Simon Leinen wrote:

However I don't know how wide the "reach" of Internet multicast is, in
particular outside our education/research networking community (and
even within that community, multicast is only available to a
minority).

Some broadband ISPs (at least here in Europe, but probably elsewhere
as well) have started to distribute TV-over-ADSL using IP multicast.
But I'm not sure whether they also provide their users with multicast
connectivity to the rest of the Internet.  Anyone knows?

By-in-large they are not interested in the interdomain case. There has
been a substantial investment in similar rollouts among asian broadband
isps...

Yes indeed. This seems to be limited replacing older distribution methods from
the head end to
(somewhere close to) the set top box. I have yet to find one that is interested
in
interdomain multicast. (They already have infrastructure to get "their"
channels, typically by
satellite, and they have no interest in other channels.) I think that this will
only
change if sufficiently many internet video channels become popular enough that
they can't ignore
them.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks