Re: ietf-broadcast: Multicast / DVMRP not used anymore?

2005-02-07 12:57:36
Marshall Eubanks wrote:

I have yet to find one that is interested in interdomain multicast. (They already have infrastructure to get "their" channels, typically by
satellite, and they have no interest in other channels.) I think that this will
only
change if sufficiently many internet video channels become popular enough that
they can't ignore
them.

The situation can not change, because the currently standardized
multicast protocols and its underlying models are incompatible
to basic operation/revenue requirements of the real world ISPs.

That is, the protocols does not have proper revenue model to
support automatic negotiation between ISPs and between an end
user's multicast source and an ISP that manual configuration
by ISPs is inevitable.

As a result, current multicast sources are strongly tied to ISPs's
internal operations.

It is easier to use unicast for interdomain transmission between
ISPs or even between regions within ISPs.

The source of the problem is that multicast is resource reserving
communication that each group should be charged from its ISP
proportional to the area and time of each group, which can not be
controlled today.

                                                        Masataka Ohta

PS

I am promoting broadcast with several ISPs in Japan and knows how
they are operating.