Re: Last Call: 'Message Submission' to Draft Standard

2005-02-10 08:53:21
On Jan 29, 2005, at 10:56 PM, Bruce Lilly wrote:

Q: Is there a list of changes from RFC 2476? [As the request is to
   advance to Draft status, it would be nice to know if any changes
   are of such scope and substance as to warrant remaining at
   Proposed.  Such a list would also aid reviewers, to ensure that
   some subtle change is not overlooked.]

I don't have an exhaustive list, but the key change that led me to originally request an update to this RFC can be found in Section 4.3:

4.3.  Require Authentication

The MSA MUST issue an error response to the MAIL FROM command if the
    session has not been authenticated using [SMTP-AUTH], unless it has
    already independently established authentication or authorization
    (such as being within a protected subnetwork).

The idea here is to establish that port 587 submission ALWAYS requires authentication. By differentiating it in this way from port 25, the hope is that ISP's who block port 25 will not feel a similar need to block port 587, thus streamlining the configuration of message submission for roaming but authenticated users. -- Nathaniel