Re: Last Call: 'Message Submission' to Draft Standard

2005-02-11 11:07:31
At 10:56 PM -0500 1/29/05, Bruce Lilly wrote:

 Q: Is there a list of changes from RFC 2476? [As the request is to
    advance to Draft status, it would be nice to know if any changes
    are of such scope and substance as to warrant remaining at
    Proposed.  Such a list would also aid reviewers, to ensure that
    some subtle change is not overlooked.]

I noticed this was missing, and added it to the revision for comments received during last call. Here is what it says:

Appendix A: Changes from RFC 2476

* Support for [SMTP-AUTH] is now mandatory
* Message-ID changed from MAY to SHOULD

 S: The table in section 7 omits MTRK (RFC 3885), probably others. At
    minimum, the authors should review SMTP extensions and update that
    table before publication.

This might be a good idea, although it will require more text in Appendix A. Also, new SMTP extensions are supposed to indicate if they are valid with SUBMIT.

 N: Use of "SMTP envelope" in place of "envelope" (3 places) would
    avoid possible confusion.

OK, thanks for the suggestion.  It seems like a useful clarification.

--
Randall Gellens