Re: IDN security violation? Please comment

2005-02-11 11:06:04
SMS's for some languages are indeed in unicode, often one message is sent in a
multipart message - i.e. - in more than one message. Even in various Nordic
languages that have strange things like ä, ö, å ... SMS's are sent in unicode.

Some cell phones sport pen input, but also support Asian text input via a
stroke system via the normal digit keypad.

John

------------------- Original message -------------------
Subject: Re: IDN security violation? Please comment
From: "Harald Tveit Alvestrand" <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
Time: 02/10/2005 10:21 pm

--On torsdag, februar 10, 2005 10:49:50 -0500 Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> wrote:

1. I have in mind a keyboard on a certain device which has
   support for protocols which use domain names (HTTP, SMTP/
   Internet Message Format, VPIM).  It has a keyboard which
   is at best inconvenient for entry of ASCII text. Unicode
   "text" (see below for an explanation of the scare quotes)
   is unthinkable.  That device is a cell phone.

Note that the SMS service is popular in Asia too - and there, the
characters sent are definitely not ASCII.

No, I have no idea how they type them - but they do.