Re: IDN security violation? Please comment

2005-02-11 16:24:49

--On torsdag, februar 10, 2005 10:49:50 -0500 Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> wrote:

> 1. I have in mind a keyboard on a certain device which has
>    support for protocols which use domain names (HTTP, SMTP/
>    Internet Message Format, VPIM).  It has a keyboard which
>    is at best inconvenient for entry of ASCII text. Unicode
>    "text" (see below for an explanation of the scare quotes)
>    is unthinkable.  That device is a cell phone.

Note that the SMS service is popular in Asia too - and there, the
characters sent are definitely not ASCII.

No, I have no idea how they type them - but they do.

Not only  do they manage to type them, they do it at high speed.

On a somewhat related note, I was watching some show the other day about
students using cell phones to pass around answers to multiple choice tests.
They showed one student who was able to enter the answers to 25-30 questions on
the cell phone she was holding out of sight under her desk. Elapsed time: 10
seconds, maybe. Number of errors: 0.

People really are incredibly good at learning to do stuff like this.

                                Ned