Re: Please review updated 1id-guidelines

2005-03-03 09:00:51
 Date: 2005-03-02 16:37
 From: Alia Atlas <aatlas(_at_)avici(_dot_)com>

One thing that I would have found very useful when I first starting writing
drafts would be a pointer to tools to actually format documents
appropriately.

Me too.  RFC 2223 helped a little, but it is rather vague and
incomplete.

This could be a pointer to the xml2rfc information (with
associated RFC),

I looked at those, but found XML to be less of a tool than a
barricade.

to tools for nroff, etc.,

Finding RFC 2223 insufficient, I wrote a set of macros and related
tools.  See draft-lilly-using-troff and related discussions on
the RFC-interest mailing list (
http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/
).

With the exception of an informative reference to RFC 2629, I'm not sure
this is something that can be in the guidelines, but it could certainly be
on the web-page.

That would depend on the status of the document.  If it's to become
an RFC, then references to drafts can be only as a "work in progress"
and references to web sites other than IETF/IANA/RFC-EDITOR are
strongly discouraged.  If it's just another random document, anything
goes.