References to RFCs-to-be in IANA registries (Was: Re: Please review updated 1id-guidelines)

2005-03-09 07:24:28
Bruce Lilly wrote:

In this case. I'm not referring to a published BCP, but rather to IANA
action that I believe should be taken w.r.t. drafts when IANA makes a
registry entry based on a draft.  This has happened a number of times. In
addition to the case which prompted my rant archived at http://www.imc.org/ietf-msgtrk/mail-archive/msg00250.html

Bruce,

I read the post you referenced above, as well as the followups from Ned and
Scott, and I have nothing to add to their explanations. I think that they
have accurately described the situation at hand.

(among other places), there is a repeated instance of the problem: consider the registry of Message Disposition Notification disposition modifiers registered at http://www.iana.org/assignments/mdn/disp-mod/index.html and modified just
this week.  The last entry gives a text pointer reading
"RFC-ietf-ediint-as2-20.txt" and a corresponding link URI of
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfcxxxx.txt There is of course no resource
that that URI purports to point to: attempting to follow the link leads
to a 404 error.  Nor is there a document named
"RFC-ietf-ediint-as2-20.txt".

As has been explained to you, those references are simply placeholders that will be replaced with the real RFC reference when it's published by the RFC Editor. That said, the IANA staff is always interested in improving its service to the community, so if you have suggestions as to how those types of references can be improved, we are happy to listen to them. Such suggestions could be discussed here if the community agrees it's appropriate, or sent to iana(_at_)iana(_dot_)org at any time.

Regards,

Doug

--
Doug Barton
General Manager, The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority