Re: Why?

2005-03-12 07:10:39
    > From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>

    > In the near term, we should recommend more liberal address
    > assignment policies so that multiple prefixes and renumbering are
    > not needed

The problem with this is that multiple addresses were adopted as the way
to do large-scale multi-homing (i.e. having a lot of multi-homed sites)
because it was the only approach that seemed technically feasible within
the existing architecture (both routing, and the various namespaces).

It may well be true that in practise, having several addresses (in the
sense of "names that identify both location and identity") is unworkable.
If so, that inevitably means that scalable multi-homing is not practical
with IPv6 - and it also inevitably means that the multi6 effort ought to
be abandoned.

"We are a lighthouse. Your call."

        Noel