Re:reflections from the trenches of ietf62 wireless

2005-03-16 11:13:03
--On March 16, 2005 07:30:07 AM -0800 Dave Crocker
<dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

[...]
that leaves equipment.

how much would it cost us to have our own equipment?

For those who would like to compute estimates, we used:

2 Juniper M10 routers with GigE and fiber ports
20 or so Cisco 3750 switch/routers with GigE and fiber ports
35 802.11 a/b/g access points with system management boxes
4 or 5 servers for DHCP, DNS, Radius, print queue, RFC cache, etc.

Some of the switches were ganged for extra reliability. If that wasn't deemed necessary, about a dozen or so might be a minimum set. We could afford to be pretty liberal because of plentiful inventory and the generosity of the University.

Add it all up (add a few $K for maintenance fees and miscellaneous) and divide by 3 years or thereabouts, when it will all have to be updated/replaced. That should give you a rough annual equipment budget.