Re: reduce jitter in routed network for voip applications

2005-03-28 05:18:54
At 06:09 AM 3/28/2005, Daniele Giordano wrote...
RTP is transparent at the transport layer. We analyse TCP and UDP:
TCP is connection oriented and so the communication begins with the
definition of a virtual circuit.
A virtual circuit is a temporary connection of sequence nodes with relative
reservation of bandwidth.
A connection oriented service gives the certainty that all information units
use the same nodes with a same medium latency.
Same latency maintains reduced the jitter.

That is incorrect unless _other_, stateful protocols (ex. RSVP, integrated
services) are in use throughout the entire network. That is not the general
case.

IP routes on a per hop basis, whether TCP or UDP. There is no "virtual circuit"
created, except at the endpoints.

I think that RTP should use a layer 4 connection oriented protocol (like
TCP) but without retransmissions of information units with excessive delay
or errors (like UDP).

What do you think about this?

You're trying to solve a problem which is incorrectly defined, and therefore
doesn't exist.

Diffserv already provides a QoS mechanism for VoIP and does not require
gateways to maintain state for each connection. It, like Intserv, cannot be
assumed to exist through any random Internet path. RFC2474, RFC2475.