Re: Last Call: 'Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures' to BCP

2005-03-30 10:49:46

On 29 March 2005, at 14:03, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

Section ١٣ heading in table of contents and in the actual section
contains a spelling error: "Acknowledgements" should be
"Acknowledgments".

According to two dictionaries I checked (Random House and Ultralingua) both spelling are acceptable. But shorter is better so I'll switch to the shorter.

"Acknowledgements" is the most common spelling outside the US. "Acknowledgments" is most common within the US.

Section ٤.٢.٦ contains a spelling error: "labelled" should be
"labeled".

Again, your dictionary needs some new entries. Both spellings are perfectly
acceptable. I'll change it since shorter is better.

"Labelled" is the most common spelling outside the US. "Labeled" is most common within the US.

Declarations of correctness depend very much on your frame of reference, I think.

Personally, I don't think it matters which spelling conventions are used in a document, but I think consistency (i.e. using US English spelling or rest-of-world English spelling throughout) is better than mixing.

The approach of choosing the spelling with the least number of letters, word-by-word, might well approximate the convention of using US English throughout. However, that goal (if chosen) might be better achieved by installing a US English dictionary and spell-checking the text.

The "spelling error" comments above are attributed to "The IESG". As someone who learnt to read and write outside the US, I would hope that there's no conscious ambition to enforce the us US English spelling in new documents.

Joe