Re: Last Call: 'Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures' to BCP

2005-03-30 11:13:36

  *> The approach of choosing the spelling with the least number of letters,
  *> word-by-word, might well approximate the convention of using US English
  *> throughout. However, that goal (if chosen) might be better achieved by
  *> installing a US English dictionary and spell-checking the text.
  *>

For RFC publication, RFC Editor does use a spell checker, which no
doubt has a US bias.  We do try for consistency. but we also try to
allow consistent non-US usage.  In either case, we are less than perfect,
but we try.

RFC Editor/bb

  *> The "spelling error" comments above are attributed to "The IESG". As
  *> someone who learnt to read and write outside the US, I would hope that
  *> there's no conscious ambition to enforce the us US English spelling in
  *> new documents.
  *>
  *>
  *> Joe