Re: Technically-astute non-ADs (was: Re: text suggested by ADs)

2005-05-05 08:08:10
Ralph,

An interesting, obviously reasonable, and not-unexpected perspective. But the question wasn't addressed just to you -- I think it would be useful to hear from others, especially those who have put in a few terms as WG chairs or doc editors, on this. What I've heard, very indirectly, from some nomcoms is that they sometimes return incumbents, in spite of seeing a need for turnover, because they have had no plausible alternatives. To the extent to which that is a real issue, I think it means two things to the community:

(i) We need to understand the issue and, as appropriate, change things around until there are alternatives. That might involve workload/ work description changes, training alternatives and more "leadership development", or other factors, but it seems to me that the question is becoming critical-path.

(ii) We need to ask ourselves, carefully and sincerely, somne questions about areas and IETF capabilities. In particular, suppose we have an area that has so little leadership depth that the nomcom does not have reasonable choices of AD candidates. Is it time to declare that the IETF lacks the resources to pursue the work of that area in an effective way and then shut it down? That is not a propoosal, just a question that, I believe, deserves serious thought.

    john