Re: improving WG operation (was Re: Voting (again))

2005-05-09 07:40:44
Jari Arkko wrote:
Hi Keith,

Keith, you have been advocating a model where the IETF would be stricter in allowing what work be taken up, in order to ensure that we can actually deliver. But I share the same opinion as John L that we should rather try to shape the IETF so that it can deliver what the world needs.

My primary criterion when arguing whether IETF should or should not take up a WG was always, in some sense, whether the Internet needed IETF to be involved in and supporting this effort. It involved both an assessment of how much harm would result from a botched design (in particular, a design that didn't respect the Internet environment and other protocols on the net), and of whether IETF could expend the resources necessary to manage the group and whether it could bring the necessary expertise to the table. It also involved an assessment of whether the proposed protocol would actually be of benefit to the Internet long-term.

All good criteria! I would probably add "assessment of whether lack of the protocol would be of harm to the Internet long-term" (assuming the protocol falls within our scope, as you correctly point out below). Here's an example: a protocol that is within IETF scope, but we suddenly stop maintaining it to respond to changing requirements, or open it up to vendor extensions
without providing good abstractions that maintain interoperability.

This is very close to the IESG's thinking about what we should
and shouldn't charter. The yardstick is RFC 3935. We can always make
mistakes, of course, and we need to think about what work is being done
by other organisations.

   Brian