RE: Proper WG chairs (Re: Voting (again))

2005-05-09 12:23:07

--On Monday, 09 May, 2005 20:49 +0200 Harald Tveit Alvestrand
<harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> wrote:

Harald,

you forgot one:

 - willingness to continue working as a chair, long after
 their day job has moved onto new topics.

In this business, most folks change tasks, if not jobs,
sooner than the average half-life of wgs in the IETF.

Yup - I'm impressed with the number of people who are willing
to stick with work far beyond the original schedule and
employer's interest - effectively, people are *really*
volunteering their time and effort.

And being wildly optimistic about when their day job will
permit them to get back to the WG-chair stuff is, I'm afraid,
quite normal - I know it far too well from my own experience.
We (all of us) should be better at calling for help early!

On the other hand, that sequence of events -- WG takes longer
than expected, day job moves on, Chair no longer has time and/or
interest --  is probably another reason why WGs should be very
intensively reviewed, at least by the AD and Chair(s), when they
miss benchmarks.  The charter may need updating, the chair may
need replacing as an act of realism and/or mercy, or a simple
benchmark update may be all that is needed.  But, in any case,
unless there is a serious and careful review, the tendency is
for things to drift until obvious problems develop.

     john