Re: Uneccesary slowness.

2005-05-24 07:50:36
Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> writes:

The only way to make sure deliveries of product -- in this case,
IETF documents -- are timely is to decide when they are needed by
and set firm deadlines.  The IETF currently does not do that.
Instead, we leave everything open-ended.

We should do better at "setting deadlines", but simplistic deadlines
aren't enough.

Going back to my list of what is needed in a successful WG,

2) Building/having a "team", that serves as the critical mass and
   "core competency" for the WG. This teams needs to have at least the
   following set of skills (collectively):

   a) project manager (i.e., puts together a pragamtic schedule --
      something much more detailed than project milestones with
      deadlines and nags folk to deliver, etc.)

Here is where the deadlines come in. And these deadlines need to be
updated on an on-going basis. And if it becomes clear that the window
of relevance is going to be missed, pulling the plug should be one of
the options on the table.

I.e., this is something that should be going on at the WG level.

Thomas