Re: Uneccesary slowness.

2005-05-23 08:58:13
Ted,

I like your queuing theory formulation. A couple of easy things follow from looking at it that way.

1. Burstiness should result in temporary queuing, but it shouldn't result in continuously growing queues. It's relatively easy to separate out the effects of insufficient capacity from burstiness. I think these effects are usually given in terms of the first and second moments, i.e. average time to get through the queue and variance.

2. There's enough data available to allow someone -- not me -- to do a little parameter fitting to one of the standard queuing models.

3. It would be interesting to get some estimates from the relevant parties such as the RFC Editor, IESG ADs, et al as to how much time they think it should take to process an individual document through their part of the system, assuming no interference or queuing effects. That would give the optimal time for processing a document and provide a baseline for understanding the queueing effects and/or other issues such as extra work for poor writing, waiting for normative references, down time for vacations, sick leave and day job, etc. (My intuition is that it shouldn't take more than about 2 days to get through each part of the process if nothing else were in the way. Except for burstiness and waiting for completion from authors, if the system were running smoothly, documents really should move that quickly. All else is a symptom something is amiss. And the numbers for the current system suggest (to me) that things are amiss big time.)

Steve