Re: Improving the IETF [was Re: Uneccesary slowness. ]

2005-05-19 12:11:28
Only one. Pay more attention to the choice of Working Group chair, in particular
their non-technical, non-engineering capabilities.

When everything goes well, engineering excellence is all we need.  When things
go wrong- a WG gets stuck, goes round in circles, produces unacceptable drafts
and such like - it is non-technical skills that are needed to resolve the
situation; sometimes they are present in good quality, sometimes otherwise.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Narten" <narten(_at_)us(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>
To: "Dave Crocker" <dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 3:20 PM
Subject: Improving the IETF [was Re: Uneccesary slowness. ]

Hi Dave.

Working groups need to do work that is more relevant, focused and
timely to current Internet needs.

The IESG needs to be more timely and constructive in helping working
groups achieve these improvements.

The above is spot on. I doubt anyone would disagree.

But let's get to the bottom line and suggest something
constructive. Name 3 things we (the IETF/IESG/indviduals/WGs/etc.)
should and can be doing to address the above?

Thomas