Re: Uneccesary slowness.

2005-05-19 15:09:36

On Thursday, May 19, 2005 08:32:18 AM -0400 Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On May 18, 2005, at 8:50 PM, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

Seriously, I am operating under the assumption that timely review
and processing of WG charters and WG documents is more important to
the community than timely processing of RFC Editor individual
submissions, and the fact that I do not always manage to process
individual submissions on time reflects that prioritization.

Are there really a significant number of people who think it should
be otherwise?

Individual submissions are an important part of our process, and in  many
cases it is important for IESG to review them.  I think it is  necessary
for IESG to manage its WG workload in such a way that it  has some amount
of time left over to process individual submissions.   In other words, a
discipline that gives strict priority to WG work  might not be
appropriate.

OK; before, I thought there might be some confusion; now I'm sure of it.

I'm pretty sure Margaret's point is that she believes the community considers processing of things that are part of the IETF process to be more important than what RFC3978 calls "RFC Editor Contributions"; that is, documents which are submitted directly to the RFC Editor, outside the IETF process.

What Keith is trying to say, I think, is that it is an important part of our process that it be possible to submit documents to the IESG which do not originate in a working group, and that the IESG needs to manage its workload to be able to handle such documents.

Unfortunately, they're both using the term 'individual submissions' to mean two very different things. The same is true of a lot of other messages in this thread; I'm only picking on Keith and Margaret because their messages make a good example.

Can we stop using the unqualified term "individual submissions", and substitute something more precise, like "RFC Editor Contribution" or "non-working-group IETF document" ?

-- Jeff