Re: draft-harris-ssh-arcfour-fixes-02: informational or proposed?

2005-06-01 12:48:26
"Steven" == Steven M Bellovin <smb(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu>
writes:

> [...]

Hartman
    Steven> writes:
    >>

    >> Hi, folks.  The IESG has received a last call comment
    >> recommending that the new rc4 cipher for ssh be published as
    >> informational rather than as a proposed standard because of
    >> weaknesses in rc4.  It would be inappropriate to make a
    >> decision based on one comment so I am soliciting comments on
    >> this point.
    >>
    >> The argument in favor of publishing this document at proposed
    >> is that the existing arcfour cipher is part of a standard and
    >> that many other IETF protocols use rc4 in standards track
    >> documents.
    >>

    Steven> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the serious problems with RC4
    Steven> that I know of are related-key attacks.

That's what I thought too.  However that seems to be false.  The one
reference currently in the security considerations section is for an
attack to distinguish an RC4 stream from a random stream.  That's much
more serious for ssh and tls than the related key attacks.

--Sam