Re: draft-harris-ssh-arcfour-fixes-02: informational or proposed?

2005-06-02 07:37:52
On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 15:48, Sam Hartman wrote:

That's what I thought too.  However that seems to be false.  The one
reference currently in the security considerations section is for an
attack to distinguish an RC4 stream from a random stream.

A critical parameter to such attacks is the amount of keystream required
under a single key before the attack becomes feasible.

Assuming I've read it correctly, the most recent paper I've found on the
topic mentions a threshold of 2^24 bytes if you don't discard the start
of the keystream, and 2^32 if you discard the first 256 bytes.

As the sshv2 protocol allows for either party to trigger a rekey of both
directions of the communication, it certainly seems like a cautionary
note to set rekey thresholds appropriately would be in order.  given the
extremely lightweight nature of the algorithm you may still come out
ahead from a cpu time/power/battery-life perspective even with frequent
rekey...

                                                - Bill