Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option

2005-06-28 06:25:59
John - as a concrete example of the problem you describe, the dhc WG
perceived that there was a looming problem with exhaustion of the DHCP
option code space.  So, we wrote up a procedure (RFC 2939) requiring
documentation of new options in an RFC, implying technical review by the
dhc WG.  Now, we find a significant number of option codes in the
private code space (128-254), which have been unofficially appropriated
for use in shipping products.

To clean up the mess, the dhc WG has enlarged the available option code
space and is working through a process of identifying and registering
the unofficially appropriated option codes (RFC 3942).  I'll ask the dhc
WG to review RFC 2939 in light of the expanded option code space and our
experience with unofficial appropriation.

- Ralph