Re: Remote UI BoF at IETF63

2005-06-30 09:41:44

Vlad,

Howdy.

Vlad(_dot_)Stirbu(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:
> The attached is the description and agenda of Remote UI BOF (rui) for IETF63. Those interested are encouraged to attend. Thanks!

I would like to help with your effort. My original professional focus was on human factors and cognitive psychology. For that matter, the first protocol work I did was a telnet option to improve remote terminal interactions over poor links. So the goal of your effort is rather exciting to me.

The charter you circulated describes some usage cases, but does not specify the exact scope of the work, nor does it provide any input materials. The world of usability and human factors design is broad, and efforts to produce network-based standards are sufficiently thin. Success will require a "multi-cultural" collaboration between protocol designers and UI engineers.

This presents significant challenges, with the risk of a BOF -- and, by the way, working group -- experience that is unfocused and unproductive, with a tendency to discuss concepts rather than design a concrete protocol.

I'd like to attempt a revision to the charter that restricts scope and specifies the output more precisely.

Can you characterize the solution space in a more constrained fashion? What types of interactions and what types of devices are within scope? What is out of scope?

Are there any materials to use as input, either as exemplars or possibly even as a beginning specification? This latter would be particularly helpful for the success of the effort?

d/