Re: I-D ACTION:draft-iesg-media-type-00.txt

2005-07-01 10:22:55
    Date:        Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:35:53 +0100
    From:        Colin Perkins <csp(_at_)csperkins(_dot_)org>

  | You're misunderstanding what is being done.

Thanks for the explanations, that helps.

  | The question becomes: will the leakage go away if we separate the
  | registries?

I didn't know that was the suggestion.   I wouldn't suggest that.  What I'd
prefer would be for the specifications to indicate how to send media type X
over RTP.   That is, for data types where that makes sense.   The data type
should stand alone as something useful.

Where I first came into this was with a text/something type.  If I gathered
correctly, for RTP, the type includes timing information, as well as some
character type data.   That's fine.  But it isn't a text/* data type
according to the normal meaning of text, unless the timimg information is
expressed in some kind of printable representation (XML tags, or something)
which is not what I am assuming.

That is, my understanding of a text type, was something where it is
perfectly safe (if not always pleasant) to simply dump the file at a
user, with no processing, and the user (perhaps an astute user, with
knowledge of the meanings of any markup that's included) can work out
what is going on (the user can act as text processor).

kre