Re: I-D ACTION:draft-iesg-media-type-00.txt

2005-07-05 07:18:14
Further clarifications inline.

Robert Elz wrote:
    Date:        Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:38:19 +0200
    From:        Magnus Westerlund
<magnus(_dot_)westerlund(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com>

I understand everything you're saying, except this part...

| I do want to point out that how we RTP uses the top-part of the media | type name. They are used to explicitly identify which other media | formats they are okay to multiplex in the same session.

OK, that part too...

| This also | ensures that different media types are not multiplexed on the same RTP | session.

And that...

Due to what is written in section 5.2 of RFC 3550 different media types (audio, video, text) should be separated into different RTP sessions. To achieve this each RTP payload format has a top level media type it belongs to. This assignment binds it to which other media types it is possible to multiplex. This top-level type is also explicitly provided in SDP for each RTP session which is helping us to ensure that RTP payload are only used in RTP sessions of the correct media top level.

| Thus we need to be able to register RTP payload formats also in | text top-level type.

Now, I'm lost.   You just finished explaining how the RTP media types are
all different from all other media types, because they necessarily need to
retain the RTP packet info (or I'd guess perhaps some of that, but it
doesn't matter) as an essential part of a data.

Yes, information in the RTP header is essential part of the data.

   Now you seem to be
saying that it is OK to multiplex a text/plain or a text/html into the
same data stream.  How?   Those don't contain the RTP packet info, do they?

What you are suggesting isn't possible as neither text/plain or text/html has any defined RTP payload format and are not likely to get one as they have no real-time properties. Nothing is transported in RTP without an defined RTP payload format.

What I like to stress in regards to the text top level type is the following.

- From an RTP perspective all the media types (audio, video and text) are all needed, but non are special or have special rules. The only things that matters is the media types general properties and that they provide appropriate grouping. - Text is different in its properties from audio and video and should therefore be using its own media type. - When new RTP payload formats are defined for carrying text with real-time properties we will need to register them in the text top-level not any other top-level media type.

Or is this just because you have some text/x types already, and want to
be able to add new ones to the same set?   If that's it, would it be possible
to rename the existing text/* (RTP) types into something else, like rtp-text/*
so that the confusion goes away?

I think Colin responded to that. However, yes you are correct we do already have text/x types and we expect there will be a small but increasing set of type that are text. Renaming the current into another top-level domain does not reduce the confusion, it only increases it. It is also something that makes millions of deployed devices interoperable.

Please understand that what we are discussing is something that has been done for a long time and have very many deployed implementations (on the order of 100 million instances). This usage of media types are in every Windows or Apple box that has Quicktime, Real, or Windows media players, it is in many mobile phones sold the last 2-3 years. So please remember that any change that would jeopardize interoperability has the same impact as when people touches the email system in a non backwards compatible way. So changing a top-level media type from text to rtp-text would be bad, really bad.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A