NTIA Statement of Principles

2005-07-03 05:21:35
I apologise: I expected so much the return of the US policy to a common sense logic of national interests at the world digital ecosystem level that I did not realised, with the W.E., some has not been informed yet.

Here is the link to the statement of Mr. Gallagher: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/USDNSprinciples_06302005.htm

From two mails I received, I realise that this may be a shock to some, discovering there an opposition with the "IETF core values", by the main expected funder of Internet R&D (cf. RFC 3869). It is only a direct consequence of the "end to end" principle: States have responsibilities to their own ends, and to exercise them, in such an architecture, they must also control or really trust the other end.

The USA only take into consideration the current IETF architecture. They have identified this a while ago (gateway protocols): http://whitehouse.gov/pcipb. Up to us to provide a solution and to reduce the risks of technical balkanisation.

jfc