Re: S stands for Steering [Re: Should the IESG rule or not?]

2005-07-05 06:10:02
Thanks Ken (and those who have followed up). I don't think
there's any need to repeat the count - we can safely say
that opinions are divided.

    Brian

Ken Carlberg wrote:
From: Brian E Carpenter I'm supposed to be on vacation so this will be brief, but I don't think that your assertion about what "the community" has said is backed up by postings from a sufficient number of people to be a community view. Most people in the community haven't posted one way or the other. I haven't counted, but in the recent discussions about the hop by hop option, I've seen a number of messages agreeing with the IESG's decision, contrasted with a large number of critical postings from just a few people.

My view is that your impression of the reaction is incorrect.  in
taking the position that respondents can be classified as either: a) being satisfied with the IESG *decision*, b) dissatisfied or uncomfortable with the decision, or c) could not be clearly determined by the content of their response, I came up with the following list.

Dissatisfied         Satisfied               Other
------------         ---------               -----
Robert Elz           Thomas Narten              Barbara Roseman
John Leslie              Sam Hartman            Yakov Rekhter
Ken Carlberg         Bob Hinden             Scott Brim
Ralph Droms              Brian Carpenter        Spencer Dawkins
Steve Silverman      Allison Mankin             Thomas Hruska
Jefsey Morfin        Harald Alvestrand      Randy Presuhn
John Klensin         Keith Moore            Scott Bradner
Nick Staff               Bill Sommerfeld
Lawrence Roberts           Eliot Lear
Vint Cerf                Joel Halpern
Dave Crocker         Margaret Wasserman
Ned Freed                Jeffrey Hutzelman
Grenville Armitage
Hans Kruse

I listed names so that people could object to my interpretation,
and I'm sure I made a mistake or two.  But at best, it seems the
reaction is split, and not to be viewed as objections coming from
simply a few but persistant people.

-ken

ps, I hope your vacation is going well :)