Re: S stands for Steering [Re: Should the IESG rule or not?]

2005-07-05 08:58:05

On Jul 5, 2005, at 2:32, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Robert Elz wrote:
Also remember that "no consensus" in an issue like this, really needs to mean "no authority" - if you cannot get at least most of the community to
agree with the IESG position, then the IESG cannot just claim the
authority and say "there is no consensus that we should not have it".

I don't believe that is true in this case, as long as RFC 2780 is in force.
Especially since there is a clear path for Larry Roberts to ask for
IETF consensus, which by definition would overrule the IESG.

    Brian

        just for my edification, how is IETF consensus determined,
        esp. when there is a need to "overrule the IESG"?  in other
        contexts, this type of thing is done by a vote of the membership,
        but last i checked, there are no members of the IETF.

--bill