RE: [Ltru] Compatibility (Was: Last call: Private UseTags)

2005-07-14 15:15:49
I agree that we should modify the text to include requirements imposed by RFC
3066 beyond those in the ABNF.

I should note that it isn't clear from Mark's note: this paragraph is already
in the draft, in Section 8 (Changes from RFC 3066), and has been present since
draft-langtags-05 (or, to put it another way, the past *FIFTEEN* drafts of the
document). This requirement should not be a mystery to anyone at this point.

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.

-----Original Message-----
From: ltru-bounces(_at_)lists(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ltru-bounces(_at_)lists(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Mark Davis
Sent: 2005年7月14日 14:40
To: Randy Presuhn; LTRU Working Group
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Compatibility (Was: Last call: Private UseTags)

The goal has always been present, and I think adding the paragraph is a
worthwhile clarification. I would make one change: the ABNF is not the
only
constraint on the specification, and someone might read the paragraph as
implying that. So:

   *Compatibility.* All RFC 3066 language tags  (including those in the
   IANA registry)  remain valid in this specification.  The changes in
   this document represent additional constraints on language tags.
   That is, in no case is the syntax more permissive and processors
   based on the RFC 3066 ABNF (such as those described in [XMLSchema])
[add: and the other specifications in the text of the RFC]
   will be able to process the tags described by this document.  In
   addition, this document defines language tags in such as way as to
   ensure future compatibility.

‎Mark