Re: Port numbers and IPv6 (was: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-iana-reg-policy-00.txt)

2005-07-15 00:55:32
On 15-jul-2005, at 3:25, Ned Freed wrote:

It would not make much sense, between 2 hosts you can already have
65536*65536 possible connections*, which should be more than
enough(tm) ;) I wonder if there are any hosts actually using more than
65536 connections at the same time.

True enough, however, you can only have 65536 connections to a single service
on a given port.

Sounds like an implementation limitation to me.

Demultiplexing should happen on source and destination IP addresses and source and destination port numbers. Assuming the server's IP address and port number are given, that allows for a 65536 sessions towards each possible IP address connected to the network. That should be enough, I'd think.