Re: Port numbers and IPv6 (was: I-D

2005-07-15 11:35:14

--On Friday, 15 July, 2005 13:54 -0400 John Day
<jeanjour(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net> wrote:

Does this discussion suggest that it is time to start taking a
look at TCPng?  If not now, at some point in the future that
we can anticipate?

(those are questions, not proposals, requests, or statements
of belief)

Perhaps, but aren't we about 30 years late in getting rid of
the kludge of well-known sockets?  Perhaps we should start
solving problems instead of prolonging the agony.

While I'm not sure I quite share your conclusion about ports and
well-known sockets (I can see some tradeoffs in that area), you
will note that I said "take a look at TCPng" not "make the port
number field wider".

best,
    john