Re: Port numbers and IPv6

2005-07-15 14:17:05
In message
<20050715205554(_dot_)15355872E3(_at_)mercury(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu>,
Noel Chiappa writes
:
   > From: Ned Freed <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com>

Let me make sure I understand you here:

   > IMAP4 has the characteristic that you often have a huge number of
   > incoming connections, only a few of which are active at any given time.
   > Designing servers to accomodate huge numbers of connections is a bit
   > tricky, but workable: ...
   > The 65536 limit, OTOH, has to be dealt with by using multiple server IP
   > addresses, which in turn usually require multiple interfaces ...
   > ... that doesn't mean nobody is hitting the 65536 limit imposed by
   > source port numbers. They are, it causes problems

You're saying that there are servers which have close to (or more) than 65K
connections to a *single client IP address* (i.e. it may be a NAT, with a
number of hosts behind it)? (If a server is talking to a number of different
client IP addresses, it can have up to 65K connections to *each*.)

Ned isn't the first person I've heard this observation from.  Yes,
there are some really large-scale systems that run into this limit.

Sure, there are work-arounds, such as assigning multiple IP addresses
to the server and using DNS-based load balancing.  That doesn't change
the fact that the basic design has run afoul of an address space limit.

Circa 1974, in a computer architecture class, I heard Fred Brooks point
out that *every* successful computer design eventually ran out of address
space.  The same applies to network protocols.