Re: Need for an open access IPv6 working group at the IETF

2005-07-18 02:17:32
Francois,

In 1999 you asked my predecessor's predecessor:

I wonder if we should not have a new working group within the IETF that
would issue informational RFC's on the topics of equal access
using Internet Protocol technologies.

Well, I'm quite sure the answer is no. That is a business model, policy and
governance question, and these are not areas within the IETF's mission.
Discussion of specific vendor's products is also outside our scope, except
when they directly illustrate technical discussions.

It's clear that producing technical standards that are fair and open is
in the IETF's mission, and that is where we should focus. If you have
technical proposals that tackle this, they are most welcome, in Paris,
Vancouver, or on-line.

You might, however, be interested by RFC 4084.

Regards

Brian E Carpenter
IETF Chair

Francois Menard wrote:

Folks,

With the positive result in Lafayette a few hours ago, and the increased reliance on non-standard Multi-VRF in CMTS for cable modem open access in Canada (which is finally being turned on as we speak), I think it is finally time to get my July 17, 1999 proposal out of the drawer (making it its 6th anniversary today by pure coincidence... proving again that things never change... or at least take forever to change...).

What process should I follow to make this happen from a distance if I cannot manage to travel onsite at an IETF meeting? (Vancouver is as far from here as Paris!, but I am tempted to go.)

Can anyone comment about whether I should be able to expect getting an MPLS LSP straight out of a Cisco CMTS into my own provider edge router as an ISP rather than rely on this being done internally by the cable carrier to a 7206 acting as the PE, but then running policy routing on the source IP address to select the right interface towards the ISP and then require to run the DHCP server on behalf of the ISP?

Does anybody know whether this:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin09186a00800921d7.html

is known to be standardized and interoperable at the MPLS level with other provider hardware?

I know some people my think that I should ask these questions to Cisco directly, but really, this is not the case... In Canada the CMTS hardware that cable carriers use might be cisco, but ISPs are free to select the PE hardware of their choice... So there is cause for concern that the cable carriers might be able to get LSPs straight out of the CMTS devices into PEs running at the ISP premises, but are refusing to do so, to restrict the cable modem unbundling framework in a manner which is not going to stand up for 2 seconds in a complaint at the CRTC (and I'm getting quite good at those).

Has anybody got a better architecture to propose? Do not say PPPoE please... I want something that is IPv6 friendly.

I still have in the back of my mind the idea of #1) using IPv6, #2) partitioning the flow field range and #3) doing admission control on certain ranges in combination with peering on an interdomain basis with QoS using a specific DSCP profile for peering across (not the Internet), but across the PSTN equivalent of a bill&keep IMT trunk if you want.

My thinking is of getting an LSP from the CMTS serving the cable modem CPE of the third party ISP, straight into the third party ISP.

This would allow a fully bridged dedicaed LAN per third party ISP end-customer (one per home, using the DOCSIS session identifier to filter out broadcast traffic from neighbours on the same optical node).

The third party ISP would then only need to have an IPv6 router with one leg into each LAN of each of its residential customers so that NDP works as-is.

Does anyone make an IPv6 router with say, the capability of 1000 subinterfaces? I'd like to have an off-list discussion on this topic with those who feel their gear is up to the task.

Does anyone make a tunnel stack for Windows XP which supports IPv4 tunnel over IPv6? Does anyone make a router which supports an IPv4 tunnel over IPv6? Does anyone make a VoIP ATA which supports IPv6? Does anoyone make an ADSL2+ router + H.264 settop box which supports an IPv4 tunnel over IPv6?

Anybody in Asia with the genius to make this happen ?

Best regards,

-=Francois=-
francois(_at_)menards(_dot_)ca

For references, see a copy of my email dating from July 17, 1999: