Re: ietf mailing list Acceptable Use Policy

2005-07-21 03:45:30
One rule of any list policy would be: stick to the subject or change
the subject header, I think.

   Brian

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
Dear Harald,
At 01:14 21/07/2005, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

So I resorted to "here's what would happen if this was a WG list, and I had the power of the WG chair to control the list, and because I run the list, I'm going to make it happen".

Did you? I will not dispute here the way a proposition of your consortium tries to exclude Open Source propositions and every further innovation from multilingual network development area. I will just thank you to repeat you are the private owner of a public IANA list documented by an RFC (of yours). This is why il will not tease your "WG procedure" without proper steps, concerted ADs, appeal, etc.

To come back to your answer: one must add RFC 2860 for registry lists which should be/are own by the IANA.

One of the signs of a maturing organization is said to be that it relies upon explicit rules rather than people's individual judgment. One of the signs of an ossifying organization is said to be that it has rules for everything.

What then to say of an organisation with 4200+ RFCs?

This shows how complex the IETF has become and the necessity documented by many outside of an "Intenet Book" maintaining, along a clear, accepted and stable "table of content", the matter and the experience (also included in obsoleted ones) of these 4200 RFCs.

Brian, it also shows the necessity, IMHO, of a WG-IANA to work on the many details of a complete review of RFC 2860, 2434, etc. extending to a standard Registry framework management by IETF and ICANN.
jfc