Re: Multiple roots & E2E PKI trust discovery, chain management & capabilities exchange

2005-07-22 04:49:56
On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 07:31:48AM -0400,
 Francois Menard <francois(_at_)menards(_dot_)ca> wrote
 a message of 39 lines which said:

However, there is more generality to my question ... I need a quick
rundown of the latest thinking (RFCs, ID's, IESG & IAB directives, IRTF
experiments) regarding:

1) distributed multiple roots

I would certainly be interested in any scientific and technical papers
about this issue. This is a very interesting and challenging problem.

But I think that we can safely say that you canNOT have multiple roots
IF you want to keep the present semantics of the DNS. (For instance,
the current semantics is "If I send an email to
sales(_at_)airfrance(_dot_)travel, it will arrive in the same malibox,
irrespective of my current email provider". See
http://www.finee.com/travel_tld.htm.)

It is not a limit of the current protocols. It is a limit forced upon
us by the requirments: if you want the above semantics for
sales(_at_)airfrance(_dot_)travel, you canNOT have multiple roots, because
something (the root) will have to decide who manages
".travel". Otherwise, you will not arrive in Paris for the next IETF
:-)

[You can compare with distributed file systems or distributed
databases: you typically have to give in some requirments.]