Re: Multiple roots & E2E PKI trust discovery, chain management & capabilities exchange

2005-07-22 16:14:25
At 22:54 22/07/2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
I wouldn't change a word in RFC 2826.

The problem with RFC 2826 is that it links (for information) a unique domain name resolution (what we want) with a unique authoritative root file (we do not care it is "unique", we want the one we use to be pertinent). Confusing the description with the described space was a way to protect the name space, but it unfortunately lead to open roots confusion and to alt-root suspicion (I only know one: ICANN with .biz) and to the lack of preparation in front to PAD (private roots).

Now, I agree with Stephane and ICANN that a lot is/can to be done. We just have to remember IMHO the namespace is the same as geographical space: the map does not build the geography and no one thinks that geography depends on the map he uses.

Except may be politics.

But there may and is to be a lot of innovative thinking. ICP-3 is excellent, starting with a good review of RFC 2826, rooting into RFC 920 which is the true basis of the DNS as we live it, and calling on experimentation and proposing avenues for the research and development with classes (the way to the externets).

jfc