Re: Port numbers and IPv6(was: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-iana-reg-policy-00.txt)

2005-07-22 11:56:52
Stephen Sprunk <stephen(_at_)sprunk(_dot_)org> writes:
It's already happening.  There is a large (and growing) number of corporate
networks where 802.1x is mandatory -- if you don't do it, you simply can't
connect.  I've also run into a fair number that require registering MAC
addresses (default is to deny or sandbox) due to vendors who don't yet do
802.1x.

End-to-end is a great goal, but it doesn't reflect the real world today.
Not that it's an excuse to _require_ middleware in protocols, but we need to
design with the knowledge that they _may_ exist.

Maybe I'm just slow, but I fail to see the connection between those two
paragraphs.  How does authentication of network access serve as a
counter example to the end-to-end principle?  As far as I can tell,
they're completely orthogonal, just as e2e isn't refuted by the
existence of DHCP.  Or did I miss a discussion about how DHCP is a
middleware protocol?

Philip Guenther