Re: Motivation for draft-klensin-nomcom-term-00.txt and draft-klensin-stds-review-panel-00.txt

2005-07-28 14:12:41
On 15:08 28/07/2005, Brian E Carpenter said:
Further along the line of coherent changes, I don't want to see
our process documents becoming even more of a patchwork than
they already are. So a goal needs to be: instead of ending up
with yet more patches to RFC 2026 and patches to RFC 3777,
let's design a document roadmap that leads to a simple and
coherent set of process documents.

There is an urgent need to get and get maintained "Internet Book" presenting the current status of the IETF and of the technology. The 4200 RFCs patchwork is unreadable and unmanageable. There must be a beginning to such a book. Starting with a description of IAB and IESG organisation and rules could be the best root of such an Internet Book Table of Content. Instead of writing a roadmap to write more documents, we could have the same documentation as a current status of the art + most expressed needs list, updated further on by the RFC evolution. Eventually the Internet Book would be the de facto reference, the RFCs the way to update it. Please indicate if that approach could be acceptable to IETF before I continue the engaged effort to make it produced and subsidized outside of the IETF, due to the lack of interest this proposition (I wish to be completed by press exposure and testing recogntion) met so far within the IETF.

jfc